South Sudan has been the birth place of IAS, when it started its intervention 1989 as a response to the humanitarian crisis caused by the civil war. Today we take pride to be serving the communities with excellence since 25 years. Many notables and government dignitaries joined us in Yei as we celebrated our 25 years of services 2015; amongst them was the State Minister for Cabinet and Parliamentary Affairs, Honorable Hastin Yokwe Roba.
Highlights/activities for 2015
• 68 new boreholes drilled
• 34 000 beneficiaries access to clean water
• 432 persons trained water maintenance and operation
• 54 water committees established
• 126 emergency latrines constructed in Bor Protection of civilian (POC) camp
• 432 persons trained in Hygiene and Sanitation practices in 54 trainings of 8 participants each.
• 28 broken boreholes rehabilitated
• 7 installed new solar powered water yards
• 3 996 households received water treatment kits (Chlorine tablets, Jerry cans and buckets) and were trained on how to purify water for domestic use.
• 3 821 households reached with general hygiene and sanitation campaigns
Inclusive Education/ Special Needs Education (IE/SNE)
• 20 schools have been reached with awareness campaign on IE/ SNE in selected primary schools.
• 2 081 pupils reached through awareness campaign on IE/SNE
• 88 teachers reached through awareness campaign on IE/SNE
• An Inclusive Education/Special needs education training conducted for 6 Ministry of Education officials and NCDO staff facilitated by teachers from Kenya Institute of Special Education (KISE).
• 5 Family Support Groups established in Yei River County Civil Society Development
• 16 Village Development committees received sector specific skills training in income generating activity and agricultural trainings in Northern and Western BEG.
• 8 agricultural trainings conducted on best methods of staple food production; geared towards increased food security in the area.
• 440 persons trained/educated in cross cutting issues like child protection, gender advocacy, conflict mitigation, HIV/AIDS, girl child education, environment and early marriages that mainly targeted local leaders, women, parents and youths.
• Five Grassroots Leadership trainings in Aweil West county of Northern BEG Health
• 12 health workers trained on Clinical Waste Disposal in Nyinbuli health Clinic • Over 70 Children’s Holiday camp teaching conducted for children in Nyinbuli
• 20 Community Health and Hygiene Trainings for leaders and care givers
• 12 vaccination outreaches carried out in Nyinbuli and areas around benefiting hundreds of people.
• ANC clinics, maternity care and emergency referral services were provided at Nyinbuli PHCC throughout the year of 2015
• Screening of children between 6 to 59 months of age for acute malnutrition was carried out in PHCC throughout 2015.
• Management of nutrition program for OTP continued throughout the year as well.